Statement of Intent

On November, between the hours of 11:11 AM and 11:11 PM (11.11.11) DivisionCollective will offer the first in a series of three projects focusing on the internet. We've created NetEscapeProject.blogspot.com as a hub to connect information via posts and links.

Members of the public (anonymous or otherwise) are invited to utilize material from anywhere on the internet (Facebook, YouTube, Google +, individual blogs, individual websites, etc.,) to disperse information and exhibit work.

Your video. Your webcast. Your podcast. Your script. Your song. Your story.


(or somebody else's)



Friday, November 11, 2011

Lo siento ma … I didn't know. My name is Francesca.

It's almost 11:11. It is factually 11:02PM CST. Last night over a dinner party with a couple we've known, a couple we met through them and one awesome woman by the name of Vi--it was she who talked about the fragmented self. Vi said, "Our Internet personas are a vision of how we wish others to see us. We are fragmented and our persona over the Internet is not exactly who we are as a person. So, why I tangent…

Earlier I posted, this morning it was, about how I would walk to Happy Dog Gallery to perform at 1:11PM. When I had first inquired if I could fulfill the position of entertainer from 1:11PM until…I asked never received a set "yes," or given any directive. So my imagination took me to dressing as a 1920s ballerina, wearing a long overcoat to the door beside Crocodile…to a man who made no sound…to a space otherwise dead.

I didn't ask if the 11.11.11 party was on. Earlier this week when I had stopped by I exited saying, "See you on 11.11.11." The boy who answered the door earlier in the week was the same who answered today. We did see each other again. I felt foolish for thinking that an Internet exhibition would take place in a 'real' 'live' 'space.' But who is to argue that online space isn't 'real' space? We can't imagine it. It's too finite. Those molecules are always connecting.

So I walked the half mile to the gallery space where no one stood waiting, where I had expected to not have an audience, but did expect to introduce my fragmented self. I would have said, "Hi, to those who are here, though no one is, but those who live here. I have an Internet persona, but this is me. I am Francesca. Since I was young, I've been fragmented by music. I've been so serious, so honest, so fragile, forgettful, and impacted by the 'space' it provided me for creativity. I love to play. …or Garth, "I like to play."

I realized my naivety of believing that an Internet exhibition might be a group of artists introducing themselves as their fragmented self--on the Internet.

I did not expect an exhibition to take place solely online.

So here is another post. The last post of mine.
I'm drunk, stoned and hoping Steve Martin might play the banjo.

Love to connection, to hope, to inspiration--

No comments:

Post a Comment